Saturday, August 15, 2009

Player Spotlight: Marcellus Barksdale (Tates Creek)



When you talk about the top players in the state for the class of 2011, one name you hear very often is Marcellus Barksdale of Tates Creek High School. The 6'4 junior suffered a high ankle sprain at the beginning of the summer and was forced to stay off the court until June but that hasn't stopped him from working on improving his game. After making his first appearance of the summer in the Adidas It Takes 5ive Classic in Cincinnati, interest for the guard has gone up and he has emerged as one of the top prospects in the state. Despite battling through a knee injury, Barksdale averaged 18 ppg, 9 rpg, 4 ast, and 2 stls this past season for the Commodores as a sophomore and expects to have an even bigger year this coming season. I recently had the chance to talk to Marcellus and do a Q&A segment with him. Here's what he had to say:



Q: What areas of your game have you been trying to improve over the summer?

A: I've really just been working on coming back from my injury and working out. I didn't get to play until June but since then, I've been working on developing my guard skills by doing drills, learning how to use my body depending on how I'm being defended, as well as body control with the ball.

Q: Where do you feel you've grown most since last season?

A: I've really developed in to a shooting guard and also improved my ball handling. My perimeter game is also much better.

Q: What are some of your personal goals/expectations for you and your team this season?

A: We have a great coach and return a lot from last year, so I think we have a great chance at surprising some people this year and winning the 11th region. As far as my personal goals, I'd really just like to help motivate my teammates, improve my game, and also play well enough to make the all state team.

Q: What do you and your team need to do to be successful not only in the 11th region, but also against the other top teams around the state?

A: We need to stay focused and play defense all year. I feel like if we can get out and run we'll be very successful. We should be one of the top teams in the state as long as we play to our potential.

Q: Which schools are currently looking at you?

A: I'm not really worried about it right now because I'm focused on my high school season, but Clemson, Tennessee, Iowa, and Wright State have all shown interest. As long as I play to what I know I'm capable of, I should receive some offers before the end of my junior year.

Q: What factors will play in to your college decision and what are you looking for in a program?

A: I'm just looking for the right fit ; somewhere I can excell both on and off the court and academics will also play a role in my decision. On the court, coaching style and players leaving/coming in will both affect my decision on where I choose to go. I'd like to have the whole recruiting process done before my senior season so I can focus on my high school team.

Q: Who do you try to model your game after?

A: I've been watching a lot of old film on Allen Houston. He's not one of the most athletic guys but someone who does all of the little things like using his body and playing fundamental basketball. I also like Brandon Roy and Deron Williams. Both guys have great form. I've always been a Magic Johnson fan as well.

Q: Lastly, how would you compare yourself to the other top players around the state and what do you feel you bring to your team both on and off the court?

A: I think I'm right there in the thick of things with the other top players around the state. As far as what I bring to my team, I feel like I can do all of the little things that coaches love. I focus on being a leader, play unselfish basketball, and am also willing to give up a shot to help my teammates get a better shot. I really work hard on the defensive end as well.


Notes:

- Apparently Marcellus is a pretty good golfer. When I spoke to him, he had just finished golfing in a tournament.

- BTW, besides being a great athlete, the young man is also quite the student. He tells me that he currently holds a 3.3 G.P.A and received a 22 on his ACT. He plans on re-taking the ACT and is shooting for a 27 and hopes to bring his 3.3 up to a 3.5 this school year. Glad to see that he is putting academics first. It will really help him in the long run and open up a lot of doors.

- For NKY fans, you can see Barksdale in action against Ryle on January 23rd out in Union. If you haven't seen the young man play, I definetly recommend getting out and watching him. He, along with his classmate/teammate Ryan Fucci, combine for one of the best 1-2 punches in the state. One of the must see games on Tates Creek schedule is their December 8th match up with Scott Co @ Scott Co. Here is a link to the rest of their schedule.

- Don't be surprised if Tates Creek does end up winning the 11th region like MB expects. He tells me that they recently received a transfer by the name of Jaleel Cousins.....a 6'8 sophomore and relative of current UK freshman Demarcus Cousins. Marcellus tells me he met him the second day of school and is really excited to see what he has out on the court. Adding Cousins will allow MB to play a true 3 and not have to play out of position like he did last year because they lacked size.

- Lastly, I'd like to thank Marcellus for his time and wish him good luck this upcoming season. Should be a great year for him and his team.


No comments:

Post a Comment